In this post we are going to give you the top 10 tourist attractions in Kogi state and their locations, this sites are a must visit for all this 2021, as we look to put the past year behind us.
Kogi is a Nigerian state in the North central zone of the country. Kogi is popularly called the confluence state because the confluence of Rivers Niger and Benue occurs in the state.
The capital of Kogi State is Lokoja and there are three main ethnic groups in the state- Igala, Ebira and Okun.
Agriculture is the main part of the state economy with fishing in the riverine areas like Lokoja, Idah, Baji,etc, and the state also has coal, petroleum, steel and other mineral industries.
Tourist attractions in Kogi State include the colonial relics (such as Lord Lugard House), the confluence of Rivers Niger and Benue, Ogidi (An African town with formations of Igneous Rock mountains and a traditional art & craft industry) and natural land features hills and terrains that serve as hiking trails .
Being a 2-hour drive from Abuja some tourists come for day trips.
So if you are looking to visit this state as a tourist, then this post has gotten you covered.
We at KikioTolu News have carried out careful research and compiled a list of the top 10 travel destinations in Kogi State today.
List of the top 10 tourist sites in Kogi State today (2021 update)
Please note that this list of the top 10 tourist sites in Kogi State today, has not been arranged in any particular order and all the tourist sites in this post are one of the best you can find around. Here we go with this list…
- The Inikpe statue: This statue was built in memory of Inikpe, the daughter of the first Attah of Igala kingdom who was buried alive on the instruction of the Oracle to restore peace in the land. This site is a cool tourist spot in Kogi State today.
- The confluence of River Niger and River Benue: Just as we said earlier, this state is well know for thus confluence, and a visit there is not a bad idea at all.
- Iron of Liberty: Located at Lokoja, this marks the spot where slaves that were rescued from slave traders were set free.
- Osome Falls, Ukpogo: Now here is a really cool spot that am sure is going to interest you, Osome Falls located in Ukpogo, Kogi State is a stream that makes its way through rocks of different heights before sharply descending in a valley about 50 metres below.
- Mount Patti, Lokoja: This is a massive hill towering Lokoja, and another added advantage is that yhe Confluence point of Rivers Niger and Benue can be seen from the flat top.
- Holy Trinity school Lokoja: I know you might be wondering why a school is on this list of the top 10 tourist attractions in Kogi State, here is why. This school was established in 1860 by Bishop Ajayi Crowther. It is the first primary school in Northern Nigeria. So want some history, check this place out.
- Awo tunnel: This tunnel was a former refuge for the royal family in times of war dug during the reign of Onoja Obari. It is about 1 kilometer long, and you are sure to get a lot of fun there.
- Koto Karifi, Okene: This place is said to be a fishing paradise and you can also check it out.
- Lord Luggard’s first residence: This is a significant site, and there are lot of history at the Lord Luggard’s first residence and office in Nigeria.
- Late Attah of Ebira’s palace: This is a modern and ancient architecture wonder, and you also get to know more about the Ebira people of Kogi State.
There you have it on this post “Top 10 tourist attractions in Kogi State that you must visit this 2021.” Have fun.