The driver’s license is a legal document issued by the federal government of Nigeria, (though it’s not only in Nigeria that Driver’s license are issued, it is issued everywhere in the world) empowering the right and freedom to its citizens and non citizens or residents to drive. With the driver’s license, citizens have the right to drive around anywhere without being harassed or intimidated. In 2012, the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) launched a new commercial drivers’ license with security features that require a mandatory medical certification of drivers before issuance.
The license expired in a three-year terminal date after which motorists were expected to renew the document. However, in 2016, the federal government endorsed the production of another driving license that will have a five-year expiry period.
In Nigeria, the minimum age to qualify for a driver’s license is 18. The applicant would first attend training at an accredited driving school as the prerequisite to get his/her license.
Requirements for Obtaining Driver’s License Letter
- Formal request letter by the applicant for the driver’s license letter. Include your current address and telephone number.
- Legible copy of the National Driver’s License as well as the original (to be sighted and returned to owner).
- Applicants are required to obtain certified driving records from the Federal Road Safety Commission.
- Self-Addressed return envelope (Canada priority or Express post Courier Envelope Only)
- $50.00 money order payable to the Nigerian Embassy.
- Copy of applicant’s Nigerian Passport data and stamped page showing last entry into Canada
Drivers License Renewal Step by Step Procedure
- Apply online at https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org, print out the form after filling the required fields and print out the payment slip as well.
- Pay the License fee online or at the Designated Bank
- Present your form to the Board of internal Revenue Officer or VIO at the DLC for endorsement
- Proceed to the Federal Road Safety Corps Officer at the DLC for Biometric Data Capturing
- You will be given a temporary drivers license that is valid for 60 days
Obtaining New Driver’s License
Before obtaining a driver’s license, there are step by step procedures you must undergo which are as follows;
- The applicant is to complete an application form that he or she also dates and signs.
- The applicant must provide a signature on a signature mandatory card, which is then scanned into a database and displayed on the driver’s license.
- The applicant must provide two passport photographs that will also be scanned into the database and displayed on the driver’s license.
- Payment: The applicant is to pay “the cashing office” a processing fee of 3,250 Nigerian naira (NGN) in cash or by a bank draft.
- Applicant must provide proof of his or her identity or name by producing an international passport, a copy of which must be provided to the licensing office, or providing a birth certificate or sworn declaration of age or affidavit. The declaration of age or affidavit must be sworn before a court by a family member.
- The applicant must also provide proof that he or she can operate a motor vehicle (ibid.), i.e., proof of a written driving test and proof that he or she has passed a road test from a government approved driving school which will be verified by a licensing officer
- Once the application has been processed and the documents verified, the driver’s license is mailed to the applicant’s “residential or chosen mailing address
- An applicant can also obtain a license from a state in which he is not a resident. He explained the process by saying that sometimes applicants will receive a driver’s license from a different state than the one from which they applied because of the high volume of applications in the first state.
- A temporary driver’s license is issued to applicant which will last for the duration of 60 days.
- Applicants are then expected to obtain their driver’s license at the end of 60 days.
You can get more information by logging onto https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/index.php