Kikiotolu | Original Stories and More

We are poised to offer you latest news, politics, commentary, essay, humour, stories and other topics affecting the Nigerian youth.

FG’s recovery plan: Educationists express mixed feelings

Members of the academia in Nigeria have expressed different views on the effectiveness of the Federal Governments recently launched Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) to change the countries fortunes.

President Buhari, on Wednesday launched the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERP) to consolidate on the successes already recorded towards turning the country’s economy to the path of growth and development.

The priority focus of this plan include stabilising the macroeconomic environment; achievement of agriculture and food security and expansion of energy infrastructure capacities in the areas of power and petroleum.

Education gave mixed views towards the plan as some told reporters in Lagos that the plan was a right step in the right direction, while others were sceptical about its likely success.

Dr Tajudeen Yusuf, who is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Actuarial Science, University of Lagos, said that one of the drawbacks of the current administration was in the area of economy. He said.

“As the president is tackling this, I think it (ERGP) is the right step in the right direction and we all should cooperate with the government for our own benefit,”

“One major advantage that this will give our nation is early recovery; we will be able to recover from this our economic downturn early.

“More and more people will be interested in doing foreign direct investments and we, ourselves, will have given hope to most of our people that yes, this is real change.

“I think in the area of this development plan, government should be aware that there is need to bring more Nigerians into the financial literacy.

“There is this policy of financial inclusion. Presently, about 30 per cent of Nigerians have what we called financial literacy. What happen to the remaining 70 per cent?

“So, we should encourage others who are not currently included in the conventional system by giving rooms for alternatives.

But Dr Luqman AbdurRaheem, a Senior Lecturer, Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, Yaba College of Technology, was sceptical about the success of the economic plan.

He said that the problem of the country had never been lack of development plan.

Share this post with your Friends on 👇


Updated: April 8, 2017 — 9:25 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Kikiotolu | Original Stories and More © 2018